Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

Food for thought?

With the weather being as bad as it is and all of the school closings? There are a bunch of clubs that use a school facility for practice. How are they going to run a practice tonight?

Wouldn't it be great to have a 1lb allowance at weigh in's for IKWF State Championships?

Just thought I'd put it out there.....
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

How about 2 lbs allowance lol.

The scales at state generally have a allowance built in them. In my past experiences with wrestlers.

And they should. I would hate to see someone not make weight for this event, after they worked hard and earned it.

So the scales are light. So be it.
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

Riiiight... because it's not bad enough we have night before weigh-ins, we need as many corners cut off until the thing bounces I guess.
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

Truth, what do you like?

Mat side weight ins? Just asking.

Or just weighing in the day of the event. I think this kind of takes care of itself with the 2nd weigh in, Friday night or Saturday.

But we both know there is still a lot of weight cutting done, regardless of what one does or tried to do to control this problem.
Old 03-05-2013
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc club coach View Post
How about 2 lbs allowance lol.

The scales at state generally have a allowance built in them. In my past experiences with wrestlers.

And they should.
Sorry for the strong words, but that is absurd.

The wrestlers can pick any weight class they want.
They should pick one they can make.
Every wrestler should show up to the scale a half pound under to allow for variances in the scale. If they can't do that, they should choose the next higher weight class.
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

What would I like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc club coach View Post
Truth, what do you like?

Mat side weight ins? Just asking.

Or just weighing in the day of the event. I think this kind of takes care of itself with the 2nd weigh in, Friday night or Saturday.

But we both know there is still a lot of weight cutting done, regardless of what one does or tried to do to control this problem.
I'd like us to not be so tolerant of the issue.

Mat side weigh-ins "won't work" only because we won't let them... lamenting the poor kids who don't make weight is a crock. They shouldn't be cutting to any point where they'd be at risk of not making weight!

Some of us fought against angry IKWF old-timers to get the second day weigh-in instituted. I was there. Amazing.

At a MINIMUM, you should weigh-in day of... each day you wrestle... just like the IHSA requires. Pretending the second "night before" weigh-in accomplishes anything means your head is in the sand -- just like it's supposed to be.

For anyone who wants to crawl through Trackwrestling, there is a documented case of a kid who was in a tournament bracket two weeks before Regionals at a weight class range (XX-XX) a minimum TWELVE POUNDS (I didn't check to see the kid's exact weight) above the weight class he competed in for the State Series. Twelve pounds in two weeks then holding it for three more. That's good for kids, right?

So what would I like? Can we at least get back to pretending we're against pre-puberty kids cutting weight in order to compete effectively in a sport. And maybe take steps to that not being the case going forward?

You'd think I was asking to unravel the very fabric of the sport.
Old 03-05-2013

Matt Side weigh ins

Why not have Matt side weigh ins. Not this year obviously, but it could cut down on the unhealthy weight cutting. Not eliminate it, but I am sure it would cut down on it.
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenkid2 View Post

Every wrestler should show up to the scale a half pound under to allow for variances in the scale. If they can't do that, they should choose the next higher weight class.
Here's a question: what do you tell your 144 lb. Novice? Cut to 138? Sorry, some families have the correct mindset and won't do this.

Okay compete at 156. I am completely for it -- until I see a kid coming down 10+ lbs. to make 156 and will have ALL of that weight back on by the time he reaches a placing match.

So it's bad enough a kid was giving up 12 lbs., the way we administer things, he now has to give up 22 lbs.!

But that's at the higher weights, who cares about them? Those kids should go play football!

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying we need Novice 147 -- like Senior 74, the numbers just aren't there to justify it.

But if a family is confornted with a choice of going 156 and giving up 12 or more lbs. in order to compete. We ought to be able to deliver exactly THAT to them and NOT a 22 lb. swing that no one will admit to but everyone knows is there.
Old 03-05-2013
Crystal Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Here's a question: what do you tell your 144 lb. Novice? Cut to 138? Sorry, some families have the correct mindset and won't do this.

Okay compete at 156. I am completely for it -- until I see a kid coming down 10+ lbs. to make 156 and will have ALL of that weight back on by the time he reaches a placing match.

So it's bad enough a kid was giving up 12 lbs., the way we administer things, he now has to give up 22 lbs.!

But that's at the higher weights, who cares about them? Those kids should go play football!

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying we need Novice 147 -- like Senior 74, the numbers just aren't there to justify it.

But if a family is confornted with a choice of going 156 and giving up 12 or more lbs. in order to compete. We ought to be able to deliver exactly THAT to them and NOT a 22 lb. swing that no one will admit to but everyone knows is there.
If the Novice 144 can make 137.5 and not require a "light" scale at the state tournament, then go for it. If he can't, then go to the next weight class.

I am totally against bending the rules - especially under the auspices of "because he worked so hard for it".

OK - that takedown was just slightly out of bounds, but in the state series - because he worked so hard for it - we'll give him the two.

Well, he had both scapulae touching for ALMOST two seconds, so we'll award the fall - because he worked so hard for it.

See how silly that sounds?
Old 03-05-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenkid2 View Post

I have no problem with whatever they do. I am not a big weight cutting fan.

I have had problems with my sons in the past cutting 1 lbs, sure that is laughable to a lot of parents and coaches. But it is the truth.

My point was, I know kids are cutting a lot of weight. I would rather they make weight and participate than NOT make weight and not participate. Especially with the 2 day weigh in. I for one hope no one misses weight this weekend.

I agree with Truth on the net, at Track, you can find some cases of Huge weight cutting. I know a few cases this year and a few cases last year. However, it isn't going to change.

Unforunately, no matter what we do it will ALWAYS be a part of our sport.
Sponsored Links