Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA AAA

Old 06-21-2011
Manager

Tough call-I have seen way too many wrestlers penalized that have pushed the action and scored all the points, because they coast for the win in the last minute of the match. I have also seen wrestlers that did absolutely nothing (except for getting pinned) never get warned. Remember stalling is often used as the reasoning on why someone lost, instead of just plain being out wrestled!
Old 06-21-2011
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco52 View Post
Many may walk away saying the stalling wrestler "got away with one" or "stalled to win", but I would argue they built a lead and did what they needed to do to hold on.

If they stall too much, they lose, simple as that.
I've told many a complaining kid, including my own that "the ref didn't give that guy points for stalling." or one that I've only told my older son but on several occasions after he complained about losing to a kid that he thought was stalling to end a match, "He earned the right to stall. If you were winning you could have done the same if you chose to."

I teach and stress being offensive and aggressive, but agree with Greenskin that stalling is a strategy used by all successful wrestlers at some point to pull out a match... or by over matched wrestlers to limit bonus points in a dual
Old 06-21-2011
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Lou View Post
Tough call-I have seen way too many wrestlers penalized that have pushed the action and scored all the points, because they coast for the win in the last minute of the match. I have also seen wrestlers that did absolutely nothing (except for getting pinned) never get warned. Remember stalling is often used as the reasoning on why someone lost, instead of just plain being out wrestled!
That's on the ref for the most part if the rule is not applied correctly, but it can also be on the wrestler if not using those warnings and penalties effectively.
Old 06-21-2011
Varsity

I think greenskin and papaslim have said it very well.

That being said, I was surprised to see the new Dan Gable statue going up outside of Carver Arena looks to be paying some homage to the art of the stall call

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/Sta...123252503.html
Old 06-21-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercoach View Post
I think greenskin and papaslim have said it very well.

That being said, I was surprised to see the new Dan Gable statue going up outside of Carver Arena looks to be paying some homage to the art of the stall call

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/Sta...123252503.html
Either that or he's pulling open a shower curtain and forgot his knife!
Old 06-21-2011
Crystal Lake

A couple of years ago, I was coaching at an IKWF elite tournament and my wrestler had a 3 point lead with about 15 seconds to go from a neutral position and my coaching instructions were: "don't let him get close enough to touch you". So, my wrestler basically just avoided all contact with his opponent for the rest of the match. The ref called one warning and one penalty point in those 15 seconds and my wrestler won the match by 2.

After the match, the ref walked over to me, got in my face, and said "I hope your proud of yourself for teaching your wrestlers to wrestle that way. They're going to grow up to be a bunch of cowards - running away from everything."

OK - so that interaction between official and coach was so wrong on so many levels, but nevertheless, it was clear that he believed that it is wrong to teach a young wrestler to stall out a match.
Old 06-21-2011
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenskin View Post
Either that or he's pulling open a shower curtain and forgot his knife!
Or maybe he's paying homage the Jersey Shore crew. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOk-sCLHnGA
Old 06-21-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersenkid2 View Post
A couple of years ago, I was coaching at an IKWF elite tournament and my wrestler had a 3 point lead with about 15 seconds to go from a neutral position and my coaching instructions were: "don't let him get close enough to touch you". So, my wrestler basically just avoided all contact with his opponent for the rest of the match. The ref called one warning and one penalty point in those 15 seconds and my wrestler won the match by 2.

After the match, the ref walked over to me, got in my face, and said "I hope your proud of yourself for teaching your wrestlers to wrestle that way. They're going to grow up to be a bunch of cowards - running away from everything."

OK - so that interaction between official and coach was so wrong on so many levels, but nevertheless, it was clear that he believed that it is wrong to teach a young wrestler to stall out a match.
That is so out of line. He knows nothing about your wrestler or how he has been taught. People like that can't be reasoned with so don't even try. As coaches we have to have thick skin and remember our responsibilities are to our kids not the fans, officials, other coaches, or at times the parents of those kids. He needs to stick to officiatiing....sounds like he made the correct calls.
Old 06-21-2011
Varsity

Quote:

I agree that's wrong on so many levels, but I have had an official come up to me and marvel that my wrestler, "only made a move when he knew he would score." Throughout that specific tournament, I was shocked that my wrestler didn't get hit for stalling when he wrestled a very calculated style and many officials could/would have nailed him......I guess it depends on the official, unfortunately.
Old 06-21-2011
Olympian

Quote:

My two cents....I don't think you should teach a young wrestler to stall out a match....now teaching a wrestler match management is a different story and your wrestler will be better in the long run, as high school refs are more likely to call stalling.....and I would never tell a wrestler to run away and not let the other wrestler touch you...instead you would be better off teaching him defensive skills....just my two cents and coming form a dad who's son got a ton of stalling calls in the IKWF, but learned how to "manage" a match.

Last edited by wrestlersdad; 06-21-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links