Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA A

Old 01-01-2009
Varsity

Sandwich wrestling

Where or whatever happened to this program?
Old 01-01-2009
Varsity

fell off the map when they went AA. Gerrish retired. You would think they would have some proud alums to step in though.
Old 01-02-2009

Sandwich Wrestling

The way I understand it is that the Middle School Coach took over the high school after Gerrish. Then the middle school had some rocky years which ran kids away. The discipline and work ethic at the high school really went out the door. The current high school coach and the middle school coach were hired at the same time and they are working to rebuild the program. But lets be honest every great program eventually drops down a little. I think it will be a couple of years before you see them back where they were.
Old 01-03-2009
Junior Varsity

Who are the coaches on the high school level and grade school? Gerrish was a great coach and always had the signature palm over grip on that water bottle. The feeder program always helped that program tremendously as it does for every program, I know. But it seems they brought some great guys in year in and year out...McCombs(s), Hay(s), Elliot(s)Neal and Trevor, White, Weekly, Freisz, Brennan, Duy(s) etc.. too many to name, but looking forward to Sandwich righting the ship.
Old 01-05-2009
Junior Varsity

All Public School go in cycles based on kids available and coachings. A retirement of a quality coach will definitely have an impact on a program.

I personally thinf that the Double whopper w/Cheese could take the Big Mac any day though. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 01-05-2009
Olympian

I saw Sandwich at one tournament last year, and again at Regionals. They reminded me of Yorkville six years ago, making the jump up from A to AA is pretty tough. Now with the 3 Classes the jump is not so great. [Note: This thread should really be on the AA Board] Changing Coaches is difficult, too.

My observation was that the lineup was full, they wrestled hard, but were just a little outmanned (Remembering that they were in a AA Regional in the Old two Class System). I was impressed with the attitude of the new head coach, possitive and enthusiastic. He inisisted that the team clean up the area that they sat in before leaving the gym. That's a small item, and doesn't have much to do with wrestling, but it's nice to see a Coach buildiing the man as well as the wrestler.

Good Luck to the Indians, and may they rebound to prior levels.
Old 01-14-2009
flame broiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapplindad View Post
All Public School go in cycles based on kids available and coachings. A retirement of a quality coach will definitely have an impact on a program.

I personally thinf that the Double whopper w/Cheese could take the Big Mac any day though. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I'll second that. Bye the way ; Who was the coach who coached at both Plano and Sandwich?
Old 01-14-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapplindad View Post

I'm not sure what mechanisms were in place to ensure continuity within the Sandwich program, but evidently the ball was dropped along the way.
As you state, the presence of a quality coach is imperitive to the success of a program.
I have never had a double whopper w/cheese, and it's been about twenty years since I had a big mac, I don't think this is an appropriate analogy.
I'll have to go with a New York Strip over a Rib Eye any day
Old 01-15-2009

Sandwich Current Coaches

The current high school coach is Josh McCarty. He was a state runner-up and state champion at byron. He also wrestled in college and I believe was a national qualifier. The assistant coach Dale White wrestled for sandwich and was also a state champion and place winner in high school. I believe he was an all-american in jr-college. I'm not completely sure on the college information but I remember when they wrestled in high school. They both wrestled for good programs in high school. McCarty's Jr year Byron took 1st as a dual team and White's senior year Sandwich took 2nd in 96.
Old 01-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdubl View Post
I'll second that. Bye the way ; Who was the coach who coached at both Plano and Sandwich?
i believe that was coach bologna? u no what they said about those two schools and that coach. ( PLANO BOLOGNA SANDWICH )
Sponsored Links