Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 11-30-2008
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Conant notes/observations

OPRF Huskies Top Dog in Fuetz Fight

It was another great tournament, well run, officiated (for the most part-unless you get penalized for "overly aggressive cutting" or a body slam on a routine blast double leg), and as usual featured some great match-ups of some of the states' best talent.

In the team race, Leyden had a great first round but faded in the quarter finals. Glenbard North was in the mix until the semi finals but still managed to finish 4th in a "rebuilding" year; a true testament to the depth of that program. Surprising St Charles East managed to finish 5th. It came down to a 3 team race between top ranked Providence, OPRF, and CLC. OPRF advanced 7 to the semi finals and 5 to the finals to jump into 1st place by a slim 8.5 point margin over Providence. The Celtics won the first 3 finals matches with the "Two Eds" Klimara and Cooper and Tom Ambrose 103-119lbs. Providence also picked up two 3rd place finishes from Wojick and Togher. The Huskies lost their first finals match at 130lbs when Chris Dardanes had to injury default to Tony Ramos (Ramos was ahead 7-2 and in command of the match) at 2:10. Nick Dardanes pulled off the upset over Jimmy Chase in an impressive hard fought 8-5 victory. The Huskies then reeled off 3 more wins in the finals with Ellis Coleman getting a TF at 140, Dan Martin winning a head to head vs PRO's Brian Walsh 11-4 at 152, and then a HUGE pin by freshman (yes, freshman) Sam Brooks at 160lbs. Two more 3rd place finishes by Ben Brooks at 189 and Matt Monson 215, and a key 7th place finish and pin by Jon Wilson gave the Huskies the win at 245pts to 229.5 for the Celtics. CLC was 3rd with 213.5, getting wins in the finals from Joey Kielbasa at 145lbs, Trevor Parlberg 171, and a 2nd place from freshman (yes, ANOTHER freshman) Gage Harrah at 215lbs.

The individual finals had some great matches and featured some awesome wrestling so I won't go into detail on all of them. Freshman sensation Ed Klimara had a brawl with Bloomington Sr and IL Greco standout Jake Bellis in the 103lbs final. Klimara jumped out to a 5-2 lead scoring with that excellent firemans and great hustle. Down 7-2 in the 2nd period, Bellis scored a 5-point move off of a Klimara shot. It almost looked like he had Klimara pinned; almost. Klimara battled back and almost pinned Bellis, winning the match 14-8 in a wild scramble fest. At 112lbs Cooper was in control the entire way, winning by major dec 11-3. Ambrose follwed with a 6-3 win over Dan Rios from GBN. One of the pleasant surprises of the tournament was freshman 125lbs Nick Ruffino from SCE who displaed some of the best riding technique I witnessed in the entire tournament. He faced Sr IL Greco standout and two-time SQ Thomas Cole from Bloomington in the finals. Ruffino scored a quick TD on an outside single, but was eventually overmatched, with Cole winning by maj dec 10-2. At 130lbs Tony Ramos scored a couple of quick TDs vs Chris Dardanes, going up 4-2 early and was in control. Dardanes suffered an ankle twist off of a shot by Ramos that drove him backwards. He tried to continue but had to Inj Def at 2:10, Ramos leading 7-2. One the matches of the night featured Jimmy Chase vs Nick Dardanes at 135. Chase was up 2-1 at the end of the first period. That changed quickly in the 2nd period when Dardanes unleashed a barrage of relentless attacks and pulled ahead 6-4 and held on to an 8-4 victory. Nick Dardanes went on to be named the OW. Ellis Coleman suffered a nasty cut over the eye but went on to score a TF in a match that had more blood than an MMA fight at 140lbs. The 145lbs finals was another scramble fest, featuring Joey Kielbasa (CLC)vs Terrell Webster (DLS). Webster scored a TD to go up 2-0 and then Kielbasa reversed for a 2-2 score at the end of the first period. Kielbasa managed to ride out Webster leaving the score tied going into the 3rd period. In a wild 3rd period, Kielbasa got the escape to win 3-2. Wow. The 152lbs weight class featured a key match-up of two SQs and the only head to head final between OPRF and Providence. With no score at the end of the first period, and little happening in the 2nd period, Dan Martin finally put on a burst of offense against a tiring Brian Walsh, finishing the match with a convincing 11-4 victory. Then came the OPRF "secret weapon" at 160lbs....only a secret if you don't know the kid's wrestling. Freshman Sam Brooks fell behind 2-0 to Malik from Schaumburg but in the second period, took control of the match, scoring two TDs and then locking up a tight cradle for the fall at 3:37. Trevor Parlberg from CLC went at it with Adam Schammert (LEY) featuring two of the best 171lbers in the state. It was a closely contested match, featuring a controversial TD call at the edge of the mat. Parlberg came out with a hard fought 6-3 win. Clayton Kendall, All-Stater from DLS had little trouble scoring a maj dec 13-3 over Joe Patricelli from Conant. Kendall was quick, smooth, and in control the whole match. At 215lbs freshman Gage Harrah from CLC had a great tournament and was in a close match vs Dan Kiebler from LEY until he made a mistake and got caught on his back in the 3rd period, losing by fall at 5:02. The last final of the day featured two of the best heavyweights in the state, Albanese from NN and Blaydes from DLS. The match was also a wild one, featuring 4 lead changes until Blaydes pulled away scoring TDs and back points, 18-7.

Great tournament, and a good early season take on some of the top individual talent and teams, along with a few surprises. When I asked Coach Powell how it felt to FINALLY win Conant, all he did was grin and pump his fist.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."

Last edited by mckbln; 11-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2008
Olympian

Nice job, Mckbln. And it was nice to FINALLY meet you after all these years.
Old 11-30-2008
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvwrestling View Post
Nice job, Mckbln. And it was nice to FINALLY meet you after all these years.
Likewise. I am glad to hear Jimmy is OK. I know he took a wicked shot to the head in the Wojick match. He looked like he was in a bit of a fog.

Old 11-30-2008
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
Likewise. I am glad to hear Jimmy is OK. I know he took a wicked shot to the head in the Wojick match. He looked like he was in a bit of a fog.
I'm sure he'll be fine. And Mark told me he enjoyed talking to you too.
Old 11-30-2008
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvwrestling View Post
I'm sure he'll be fine. And Mark told me he enjoyed talking to you too.
I could talk wrestling for HOURS with Mark....LOL....

Sponsored Links