Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA AA

Old 01-18-2008
Junior Varsity

What age should kids start wrestling?

My older boy started wrestling as a freshman in HS and did fairly well but always struggled against kids who were experienced from before HS. I always had the impression that had he started earlier, he would have really been a stud but who knows.

I have a 4 year old who is a pretty tough little kid with a few older sibblings that rough him up pretty good. He has been to some meets with me and says he wants to wrestle all the time. Can anyone shed light on their experiences both good and bad from starting kids off around 5 years old? In addition, any programs on the SW burbs that are better then others for starting young ones.
Old 01-18-2008
Owner/Webmaster

My boy turned 3 in November and goes to wrestling practice every Monday. He just kind of hangs out right now but will jump in every once in a while. Thanks to Jeff Pape he actually has a pair of wrestling shoes that fit him now.
Old 01-18-2008
ZEE-BEE

Our IKWF starts with kids around 5. If they are really interested then maybe talk to a coach at whatever program you choose. Some coaches don't mind younger kids and some don't want them until they are a little older. I bring my 2 year old to my practices and meets and he loves seeing Daddy and "his boys". We wrestle on the mats and at home. It's just hard to keep a young kids attention that long and to get them to manipulate their bodies sometimes. But if you think he's ready just find a program willing to work with kids that young. Sorry I can't lead you to a program i don't follow much of the IKWF outside of our region.
Old 01-18-2008
Vegetarian wrestling!

If he even wants to wrestle at all, I have no intention of having my son be involved in the sport as a competitor before fourth grade, unless he wants to before that time. He'll be four-years-old this May, so he has time to see plenty of it and decide if he even likes it (so far he seems to). I don't mind if he practices and learns the basics at home or once a week in a club setting, but his attention span is about as long as a freshly cut blade of grass on a golf green, so he'll have many, many interests in the coming years that I want him to explore. While some might feel that this places him at a "disadvantage," that's fine. As a coach, I've seen how crazy some parents can be with trying to force specific activities they enjoy on their kids and I refuse to do that to him. I have no desire to dictate that his life will revolve around wrestling or sports anyway, so we'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-18-2008
Junior Varsity

I brought my son to Mt.Greenwood to wrestle because he was strong for his age.He just wasn't interested.He ened up wrestling kids 3 years older with more experience because of his size...I didn't force him to comtinue....Now he is mad because I didn't force him.....Not really but I just couldn't pull the Crazy Dad syndrome and force him; i.e. live my life through him....
Old 01-18-2008
Junior Varsity

I coach youth football and I frequently see the psycho dads who force kids to play football when the kids aren't ready. As this is my fourth kid, I have a pretty good idea as to where the priorities are in life and what kids are ready for what. Wrestling is newer to me and seems to have some different issues relating to starting age etc... It seems to me that you won't see a kid start wrestling in HS and have them turn out at the highest levels of success. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-18-2008
Olympian

My wife & I both majored in music, so we got our kids into wrestling because we didn't want the temptation of "pushing" our kids into music. They started early (5-6) & by the end of high school, they'd had about enough. I've seen great results w/ kids that start as late as 10.
In the end, one of our kids started playing guitar 3 years ago (was bored w/out the wrestling thing) & is now out in L.A. playing & recording. Go figure.
Old 01-18-2008
Olympian

I would probably hold my kid out until he is around 8 or so. I won't want him to be behind everyone, but I also won't want him to burn out in high school. I'll probably take him to dual meets and tournaments with me just for exposure, then teach him moves at home until he is absolutely begging to compete.

"No such thing as spare time, no such thing as free time, no such thing as down time...all you got is life time!"
-Henry Rollins
Old 01-18-2008
Varsity

I started my son @ 5 yrs old. As a coach, it is hard not to push your son to be the best... but at that age it has to remain fun.
I made my son a deal that we would only talk about wrestling and practice while we were in the practice room and my job as a coach ended when we got in the car... that is when I turned back into 'dad'. Believe me, that is much easier said than done, but it has worked well thus far. If he has a wrestling question or brings up a situation at home, then we talk about it for a short time and get back to playing Wii.
Old 01-18-2008
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I would probably hold my kid out until he is around 8 or so. I won't want him to be behind everyone, but I also won't want him to burn out in high school. I'll probably take him to dual meets and tournaments with me just for exposure, then teach him moves at home until he is absolutely begging to compete.
My son was around wrestling meets and tournaments when he was in diapers and I had planned on holding him out until 7-8, but he started asking to start at 3 1/2. I held him off for 2 yrs and started him at 5.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links