Old 12-30-2007
Owner/Webmaster

DeKalb Final Results

Day 1 Dual Results
Day 2 Dual Results
Day 2 Final Brackets
Old 12-30-2007
Super Moderator

It was an exciting second day of wrestling, where the rubber met the road for the teams in the championship bracket. This year, the field included Mason, OH, ranked 5th in the large schools in the state of Ohio. After watching them compete in day one, I figured that no one would touch them. I was almost wrong.

West Aurora met up with Mason in the semis of the championship bracket. Without the starting 103 pounder, Jesse Pena (HM) at 160 and Mario Gonzalez (3rd) at 189 for West Aurora, it looked like Mason would skate to the finals, but no one apparently told the rest of the young team that it would be a route. Sam Pealstrom started off the meet with a first period pin at 145, giving the Blackhawks something to be excited about right off the bat. Loran Galloway, with only a small hand full of varsity matches under his belt, kept it close with Mason's Joe Porter 152. Porter is ranked 16th in the state of Ohio. Porter eventually got the major, but it was hard earned and did not appear to be a sure thing going into the third period. West Aurora was up 6-4 after two matches.

West Aurora could have used Jesse Pena ar 160, but Mike Schwerdtfeger stepped in admirably. He also has less than a handfull of matches on varsity, but he pulled out a big time varsity victory with a pin over mason's Drew Allen, putting the Blackhawks up 12-4. The holes at 160 and 189 created another challenege for West Aurora at 171, and coach DiNovo decided to bump up the regular 171 pounder, Tim Soloff to 189. Julian Pena stepped in for some of his first varsity matches at 171. He wresteld tough against Mason's Adam Caray, but still gave up a major decision. Soloff stepped on to the mat with honorable mention Andy Porter from Mason. Porter was a huge 89 pounder, and Soloff was overmatched. Even so, it was 4-2 going into the third period. It came right down to the end with some flashes that Soloff might somehow pull it out, but he got caught, being aggressive for the win, and pinned at 5:39. It was Mason 14 West Aurora 12 after 5 matches.

The 215 pound match featured two wrestlers with honorable mention status, Dan Caray for West Aurora and Dan McCormick for Mason. McCormick got in on Caray's legs early on and scored a takedown, but Caray came back and took the lead in the second period and did not look back. It ended up a nailbiter, won be Carary, 9-7. Caray had a great day with pins over Dustin Bles (HM)(York) and his Dekalb opponent.

The 285 pound match also featured two two grapplers in Juan Perez (HM in IL) and Josh Kline (5th in OH). Kline is one brute of a heavyweight. He wore Perez down and ended with an 8-4 decision putting mason on top 17-15 starting at 103.

103 was another hole for West Aurora, with the starter, Brandon Walz out. Nicholas Drendel filled in, but he was David against Goliath. Mason's Jeremy Artrip was a big 103 pounder. Drendel weighed in at 85 pounds after eating breakfast. It was not pretty. Mason took its biggest lead of the meet 23-15 some momentum going into the 112 pound match. Sam McKinney stopped that momentum quickly with a pin at 3:11 putting the Blackhawks back into the meet 23-21.

Robert Shepard from Mason is ranked 5th in the state of Ohio. Miguel Venecia either did not know that or did not care. A freshman with only a couple of varsity matches to his name, Venecia stepped in and went toe to toe with Shepard in a crazy high scoring match that went down to the last five seconds. shepard put points up quickly in the first, but Venecia came back with a vengenace and led by a good margin going into the second period. In fact, he led the match all the way to the end. shepard had to chip away at that lead that Venecia built up early. Until the buzzer went off, it could have gone either way, but Shepard pulled out the win giving Mason a 26-21 point lead.

Josh Zinnzer made quick work of Mason's Andrew Burton with a pin 1:11 to put West Aurora back out in the lead 27-26. Tanner Andrews, bumping up two weights to take on Mason's honorable mention Dan Yin was game, but Yin was a huge 130 pounder, and the weight difference was just too much. Yin won 10-4, and Mason took the lead again 29-27 with two matches to go! Hard to believe it was that close!

At 135, Mason's Kyle Riffe beat Steven Pena 17-6 for a major victory. That put Mason up 33-27. The last match featured West Aurora's Vince Morris against Nick Difabritis, who is ranked 15th in the state in Ohio. Morris took him down to his back with an inside trip, switched to a midnight ride and got the pin at 1:53 to send the West Aurora cheering section into a collective roar. The meet was tied 33-33. It came down to criteria, and the meet went to Mason, who won more matches.

It was a great showing by a very young and and seemingly overmatched West Aurora team. I would like to say that Illinois got vengeance on Ohio in the championship meet, but it was not the case. Rocton-Hononegah had some tough calls go against them in close matches tha ended up being the difference in the meet. The final was 34-25 Mason over Hononegah.

Last edited by Jaguar; 12-30-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2007
Varsity

Outside of CS and GBN there was some good matches out at Dekalb this weekend. Match of the Tounament W.Aurora & Mason. Mason, a tough complete team from Ohio who handled Rockton in the finals had a scrappy Blackhawk team in the Semi's. Wrestled to a 33-33 tie, Mason won on 1st criteria 8 to 6 wins. A great match wrestled by W.A. who had some JV and freshmen really step up and battle.
Individual Shocker - Vinve Morris needing to pin in the final match to at least tie, pins Mason's Nick Difabritis who on Friday beat Mascutah's #2 State Ranked Kyle Williams in a inside trip in the 1st to bring the fans to their feet.
Congrats to the following Blackhawks on winning all their matches
Sam Pealstrom 140/145 6-0
Vince Morris 140/145 5-0
Josh Zinzer 125 6-0, 6 pins
Dan Carey 6-0

I think Jag tells the story a little better
Old 12-30-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird66 View Post
Outside of CS and GBN there was some good matches out at Dekalb this weekend. Match of the Tounament W.Aurora & Mason. Mason, a tough complete team from Ohio who handled Rockton in the finals had a scrappy Blackhawk team in the Semi's. Wrestled to a 33-33 tie, Mason won on 1st criteria 8 to 6 wins. A great match wrestled by W.A. who had some JV and freshmen really step up and battle.
Individual Shocker - Vinve Morris needing to pin in the final match to at least tie, pins Mason's Nick Difabritis who on Friday beat Mascutah's #2 State Ranked Kyle Williams in a inside trip in the 1st to bring the fans to their feet.
Congrats to the following Blackhawks on winning all their matches
Sam Pealstrom 140/145 6-0
Vince Morris 140/145 5-0
Josh Zinzer 125 6-0, 6 pins
Dan Carey 6-0

I think Jag tells the story a little better
If we had a local paper (Aurora beacons News) that cared at all about wrestling, I would not feel compelled to do a write up.
Old 12-30-2007
Wrestling Media

I volunteer. Send me an email address via pm; I'll send them a resume...

Shannon
"Timesfreelanceguy"
Old 12-30-2007

Where is Jermaine McKnight? Did he move? Is he still wrestling for West?
Old 12-30-2007
Junior Varsity

Who were the MV..W's at each weight. I know last year they had selected them..
Old 12-30-2007
Varsity

J.McKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor View Post
Where is Jermaine McKnight? Did he move? Is he still wrestling for West?
Moved out of state over the summer, don't know where????
Old 12-30-2007
Olympian

you dont wanna work for that place dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatchguy View Post
I volunteer. Send me an email address via pm; I'll send them a resume...

Shannon
"Timesfreelanceguy"
the Sun times owns them. You can do better than that. Get a job with the Daily Herald they have excellent hs sports coverage
Old 12-30-2007
Varsity

I think Dan Carey from WA was very deserving of the outstanding wrestler in the upper weights with 6 wins and i believe 5 pins...