Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 03-25-2012
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Trayvon Martin shooting

I hope that at some point common sense and decency will prevail. Unfortunately, the agenda pushers have already jumped in with both feet, prior to all the facts coming out. Here is the story of events:

Feb. 26: Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old Florida high school student, is found shot and killed, in Sanford, Fla., a community north of Orlando.
Several eyewitnesses report to police that they heard a scuffle, then a cry for help, and then a gunshot.
According to the Sanford police report, George Zimmerman, 28, a self-appointed neighborhood watch captain, is found armed with a handgun, standing over Martin. He has a bloody nose and a wound in the back of his head.
Martin is unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene. He has no weapons on him, only a pack of Skittles and a bottle of iced tea.
Zimmerman tells police he killed Martin in self defense. Taking him at his word, police do not arrest him, nor administer a drug or alcohol test. They also did not run a background check.

A few things I would like to know:

1. What was Zimmerman's training/qualifications and was he legally allowed to be armed?

2. Zimmerman claimed self-defense, as he was attacked (this was confirmed by several eye witnesses)...but Zimmerman was 250lbs and Martin 140lbs. Does the "Stand Your Ground" law of self-defense really apply here?

3. Why didn't the police investigate this incident, regardless of the fact that no arrest was made?

4. IF the dispatcher told Zimmerman NOT to follow, why did he and who forced the confrontation, or why didn't Trayvon just keep walking?

Clearly, there is something wrong here BUT...although Martin is black and Zimmerman is white/hispanic...why is this suddenly a racially motivated incident?

Some of the things that really irritate me about this:

President Obama: "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon." No he wouldn't, and he darn sure wouldn't be walking anywhere alone without a Secret Service detail.

Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson both jump into this before knowing all the facts and I still haven't heard an apology from either of these known agenda-pushing race-baiters since their huge F**K-UP in the Duke LaCrosse team incident.

The New Black Panther Party, a racist organization put a $10,000 "bounty" on Zimmerman. Seriously guys????

The Miami Heat posed in hoodies, and somehow now hoodies are part of the issue along with race. Guess what? Do you know what image projection is? If I am standing at the ATM at 11p and somebody is approaching me, black, white, whatever...and they are wearing a polo shirt, Dockers, and loafers...do you think I am suspicious? On the other hand, if it's a guy with a hoodie, jeans hanging off his A$$ with his boxers showing, and wearing basketball sneakers, or a dude with a t-shirt, jeans, covered with tattoos and body peircings and a skin-head...ya know what? I am going to be suspicious. So to D-Wade, LeBron, et al, you show-up on my front yard at 2am dressed like that, the first thing you will see is the barrell of my .357 magnum.

Back to the "self-defense" claim and the "Stand Your Ground" law. In the case of the woman in Oklahoma who shot a knife-wielding intruder dead in her home, she was CLEARLY protecting herself and her child; those circumstances simply don't apply in this case. There is a whole lot wrong with what happened and I would not be surprised to find that Zimmerman is somewhat disturbed. In my opinion he had no reason to tail the victim and even less reason to force a confrontation or use deadly force.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 03-25-2012
Olympian

My only thing with the self defense claim, was that he told 911 he was following him and he was told to back off. At that point he should have listened and let police do their job. For me, the moment Zimmerman continued to pursue he assumes fault for his actions.

Not to mention the racial slur(s) and the fact that he was profiled. All he had was a can of tea and skittles. It's not like he was running with clothes dangling from his arms or a tv and car stereo. So what made him so suspicious?
Old 03-25-2012
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-HUG View Post
My only thing with the self defense claim, was that he told 911 he was following him and he was told to back off. At that point he should have listened and let police do their job. For me, the moment Zimmerman continued to pursue he assumes fault for his actions.

Not to mention the racial slur(s) and the fact that he was profiled. All he had was a can of tea and skittles. It's not like he was running with clothes dangling from his arms or a tv and car stereo. So what made him so suspicious?
The racial slur is not necessarily true...some think he said goons. As I mentioned above, IF he had followed the dispatcher's advice and not followed, the whole thing could have been avoided. The tea and skittles are irrelevant; he could have been armed but he was not. The fact that he assaulted Zimmerman at some point is the only thing that comes close to supporting his "self-defense" claim. Problem I have is that Zimmerman is a 250lbs guy and Martin is only 17 and 140lbs. Again, I want to know more. The whole "suspicious" thing is only debatable based on what the neighborhood is like, is it a gated community, did Zimmerman ever see him there before, etc... a DC cop once told me that if he saw me (white, wearing a sport coat and slacks) in his A/O which was Anicostia, he would immediately stop me and ask me what I was doing there. So much is based on circumstance and appearance.

Old 03-25-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
The racial slur is not necessarily true...some think he said goons. As I mentioned above, IF he had followed the dispatcher's advice and not followed, the whole thing could have been avoided. The tea and skittles are irrelevant; he could have been armed but he was not. The fact that he assaulted Zimmerman at some point is the only thing that comes close to supporting his "self-defense" claim. Problem I have is that Zimmerman is a 250lbs guy and Martin is only 17 and 140lbs. Again, I want to know more. The whole "suspicious" thing is only debatable based on what the neighborhood is like, is it a gated community, did Zimmerman ever see him there before, etc... a DC cop once told me that if he saw me (white, wearing a sport coat and slacks) in his A/O which was Anicostia, he would immediately stop me and ask me what I was doing there. So much is based on circumstance and appearance.
I heard the tape and "F'n coons" is pretty clear to me. I only mention the tea and skittles because it was reported that he was followed from the store or close to the store. He wasn't seen leaving a house or driveway where he could have been damaging or burglarizing something. I haven't heard any of the assault claims. I've only followed it loosely. The only thing I heard was from the ladies who's house he was shot in front of said Zimmerman was on top of him, Martin was face down, and Zimmerman told them to call the cops. I agree, had he stopped all of this would be avoided.
Old 03-25-2012
Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-HUG View Post
I heard the tape and "F'n coons" is pretty clear to me. I only mention the tea and skittles because it was reported that he was followed from the store or close to the store. He wasn't seen leaving a house or driveway where he could have been damaging or burglarizing something. I haven't heard any of the assault claims. I've only followed it loosely. The only thing I heard was from the ladies who's house he was shot in front of said Zimmerman was on top of him, Martin was face down, and Zimmerman told them to call the cops. I agree, had he stopped all of this would be avoided.
I agree...he should have done what the police dispatcher said. BTW...I heard goons...was pretty clear to me. The eye witness report I read said that Martin punched him and was on top of HIM on the ground, ie..."guy in the red sweater"...like I said...conflicting reports, wait for the facts...and NONE of this still gives Sharpton, Jackson, or the NBPP the right to incite.

Old 03-25-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbln View Post
I agree...he should have done what the police dispatcher said. BTW...I heard goons...was pretty clear to me. The eye witness report I read said that Martin punched him and was on top of HIM on the ground, ie..."guy in the red sweater"...like I said...conflicting reports, wait for the facts...and NONE of this still gives Sharpton, Jackson, or the NBPP the right to incite.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on the the tapes. After hearing the reports there had to be some sort of scuffle. I just don't like this hiding behind the stand your ground stuff. I agree with it if you are truly standing your ground and being attacked, but when you pursue someone and confront them that should be out the door. He took the battle to this kid, may have been bested, and then he used deadly force. The women that live in the town homes where he was shot also say after the shots were fired, he was seen straddling over him (standing) with Martins face in the ground. Sounds like the fight was over before the shooting.

Also, I heard the initial call just now on the news and he said he "was acting weird or high" right as he walked out the 7-11. I wonder what Zimmerman thought was weird about Martin? The only thing I can come up with is he heard him talking with no one there but he had a bluetooth set in while he was talking to his girl friend. Just a lot doesn't add up for me for this guy to pursue (after being told not to), confront, and then shoot someone.
Old 03-25-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

I usually tend to stay away but this irked me. Rarely anyone knows the real facts. But I know that from real evidence and an eye witness (allegedly) that it definitely was NOT zimmerman on top. Idk where you got that but that is more than likely not true. Evidence and eye witness testimony states that martin was on top of him bashing his head in the ground. And Martin is not 140, he is 160 and above 6 ft. There is no reason to believe that he was not capable of beating up zimmerman. He played football too so he was more than likely relatively strong. I do not think that anyways knows the actual facts 100% nor do I think what zimmerman did was right. But I do hate when people stir the pot (not necessarily you guys) and state things that are not facts. If zimmerman wouldn'y have followed him this probably would have been avoided but it also could have been avoided if martin wasn't doing what people allegedly saw. He is a stranger in a neighborhood, he did have his hood up, he may or may not have been acting like a thug, and he may or may not have mouthed off. And I'd also like to point out that they need to take the picture off of him when he was 12 because it makes him look all innocent like he did NOTHING wrong. Not saying he did, but his current photo shows a much bigger teenager and more thug like. No I am not saying he is a thug...
Old 03-25-2012
Olympian

Zimmerman was wrong and it is horrible that Martin's family has to deal with this. I just do not understand why this is a racial issue! If Zimmerman was a black guy, you would have never even heard this story or if Martin was white same thing.
Old 03-25-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvern77 View Post
Zimmerman was wrong and it is horrible that Martin's family has to deal with this. I just do not understand why this is a racial issue! If Zimmerman was a black guy, you would have never even heard this story or if Martin was white same thing.
The worst part about this is when people who don't know the facts spurt off what they think they know (no I don't mean you). And when the naacp get involved, al sharpton, and Obama when he opens his big mouth. I've never heard him chime in when a white guy got killed nor would he EVER say "if I had a son he would look like" about a white guy like he said about Martin
Old 03-25-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg-rider View Post
The worst part about this is when people who don't know the facts spurt off what they think they know (no I don't mean you). And when the naacp get involved, al sharpton, and Obama when he opens his big mouth. I've never heard him chime in when a white guy got killed nor would he EVER say "if I had a son he would look like" about a white guy like he said about Martin
That's what I'm sayin'! I just don't get it!
Sponsored Links