Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 04-10-2012
Owner/Webmaster

Curby Cup Coming to Lyons Township

Jacob Curby (LT 2002) loved wrestling, and it was a central part of his life from his early days spent in a playpen of the Lyons Township HS wrestling room to his first Greco match in Finland at age six. Jake accomplished a great deal in his 25 years, but it was the manner in which he conducted himself that stands out in the reflections of family, friends, and friends of wrestling. He was hard-working, humble, determined, tough, and kind to others. He was, as an article on Themat.com states, “a warrior on and off the mat.”

He overcame a battle with cancer during high school and quietly dealt with his epilepsy. He was coached by Mark King from his early days in the Lions Wrestling Club where he won an IKWF state title through high school where he was All-State and a leading Greco-Roman competitor.

Following high school, Jake joined Ivan Ivanov in Marquette, MI where he trained at the US Olympic Education Center and attended college at Northern Michigan University. Here he began his steady climb up the Olympic ladder that he hoped would end as a world and Olympic medalist.

At the time of Jake’s passing, he was ranked number two at 66 kg in the US. Jake was so proud to represent USA Wrestling around the world.

His message as stated on his website was simple:

“You control who you are or want to become in the future. My experiences as a world-class athlete have taught me to be resilient; my battle with cancer taught me to be tough; my relationships with my God, family and country have taught me to be thankful. I cannot guarantee a world championship, but I can guarantee total dedication. I will never fail a drug test, I will always be in shape, and I will conduct myself in a manner that will make my sponsors, family and country proud!”

Several days after returning to the US after wrestling Russia, Jake passed away while taking a nap after his afternoon practice. Jake was posthumously awarded the FILA Bronze Star in 2010 at the World Championships in Moscow. He was also awarded the National Hall of Fame Medal of Courage, an award he was nominated for prior to his passing.

Jake’s pursuit of his dream was cut short, but the manner in which he conducted his short life is the inspiration for the Jacob Curby Foundation with the hope to take his drive for competitive greatness and kindle and support the dream in others.

The Jacob Curby Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) charitable foundation dedicated to the advancement of Olympic-style international wrestling competition in the United States. This is accomplished by organizing, funding and conducting an annual competition between the United States National Team and the finest wrestlers from around the world. The first international Curby Cup was held last year at LT and was a great success as 3,000 fans saw the US National Team defeat an International Dream Team 4-3. This year LT will again be the host, as the Olympic team will take on the very strong country of Georgia on Saturday, May 19th at 5 PM.

This showcase competition will help develop America’s top wrestlers, promote the sport and cultural understanding, and be used as a vehicle to inspire our youngsters through their association with some of the greatest heroes of our sport. The two main goals of our work are to provide top international competition for our elite wrestlers in the United States, and at the same time provide for youth development by reaching out to disadvantaged youngsters and involving them in our events. Information is available at: www.curbycup.com
Old 04-10-2012
Varsity

This is an outstanding event. If you have sons that wrestle then you should take them. It will affirm their love for the sport!
Sponsored Links