Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Non-Wrestling > Non-Wrestling Talk

Old 04-03-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagle 157 View Post
Would Zimmerman have been following Martin if he were not black? I don't think the shooting was a hate crime, but Zimmerman saw a black male teenager walking by his gated community and felt that Martin was a threat. I don't know if Zimmerman's actions would have been the same if Martin was a white teenager. However, he decided to tail a black kid in a white neighborhood while carrying a gun for protection. This is a pretty clear cut case of racial profiling. Hence, the decision to pursue Martin on his own after he had been told by police not to was because he thought that his neighborhood was in imminent danger because Martin was a black teenager.

Growing up in a white suburb, my best friend who is black, had the police called on him the first night he lived in this suburb because he was trying to get into his family's new home in a very nice area and was having trouble with the lock. Had that been a white kid would the police have been called? What would have happened if the person who called the police was a neighborhood watch goofball and approached him with a gun? Our society, is not as advanced as many of us would like it to be or pretend that it is.
Racial profiling only is a factor when it is LAW ENFORCEMENT. There is no such thing as racial profiling from a citizen and even if there was, there is still a widespread debate over racial profiling. And even in "some" cases racial profiling has been allowed in the courts. Zimmerman did not say anything about how he is up to no good because the kid was black. He simply said he was up to no good. There is nothing wrong with racial profiling IMO whenever there is reasonable evidence. Such as looking like they are up to no good by peeking in cars, canvassing the area etc, or acting like a thug and dressing like one regardless of color. It's the same for muslim looking people. It's all a matter of national security which trumps your racial profiling argument. And in this case, Trayvon may not actually be a thug, but he sure did act and dress like one. And you cannot sit there and honestly say when you see a person dressed like a thug, regardless of color, you don't watch them or take precautions around them.
Old 04-03-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg-rider View Post
Racial profiling only is a factor when it is LAW ENFORCEMENT. There is no such thing as racial profiling from a citizen and even if there was, there is still a widespread debate over racial profiling. And even in "some" cases racial profiling has been allowed in the courts. Zimmerman did not say anything about how he is up to no good because the kid was black. He simply said he was up to no good. There is nothing wrong with racial profiling IMO whenever there is reasonable evidence. Such as looking like they are up to no good by peeking in cars, canvassing the area etc, or acting like a thug and dressing like one regardless of color. It's the same for muslim looking people. It's all a matter of national security which trumps your racial profiling argument. And in this case, Trayvon may not actually be a thug, but he sure did act and dress like one. And you cannot sit there and honestly say when you see a person dressed like a thug, regardless of color, you don't watch them or take precautions around them.

he isn't looking like the honor student his parents first portrayed him as either...

Also, why is his 13 year old picture the one being used?
Old 04-03-2012
Varsity

I'm not arguing about what was said or what is proven fact. Did Zimmerman have appropriate training to observe what criminal behavior looks like? I don't know. To my knowledge nothing was stated about him scoping out houses or cars or hanging on the corner like he was selling dope. I'm taking an educated guess at his thought process based on stereotypes in our society. It is my theory, that age, suspected race, and appearance all played a role in Zimmerman's decision to follow him. Had it a been black, middle age man and in a suit with an umbrella then Zimmerman may have paid him no mind. However, Martin fit the description of what many people in America believe a thug looks like. If a person is walking down the street and someone like Trayvon Martin (age, race and appearance) started walking behind this person, he or she would be on guard based on preconceived notions of what a threatening person looks like. Race was not the only factor involved, but it was more than likely one of the factors. Now none of us will never truly know what Zimmerman's thought process was that day, but as individuals in a society we do stereotype individuals based on age, race, appearance, sex, religion, ethnicity and nationality.
Old 04-03-2012
Varsity

Quote:
I completely agree, I think my posts have reflected that sentiment. Like I said we define suspected behavior by many factors. Racial profiling is fine in my opinion within reason, but to me racial profiling is no different then stereotyping. As private citizens stereotyping is a large part of how we view many of the individuals around us in our lives that we never get the chance to really get to know. Maybe they will live up to the stereotype or maybe they break the mold.
Old 04-03-2012
Obi-Wan Kenobi

I gave you a pass with the "we/kkk" post as a slip or typo

You may not consider yourself to be a racist, but your comments in this thread are littered with generalities/stereotypes/racisim.

Quote:
Call me racist Idc because i'm not but I can say with nearly 100% accuracy you're either black or an idiot. I'm tired of listening to you and all the others defend this kid. The facts are starting to become more clear and yet you still blame zimmerman. The fact is Trayvon was a thug, not all blacks are don't get me confused, but at his age most are either thugs or wannabe thugs. That goes for some whites as well acing like thugs. (See what I did there?) You might as well join sharpton and jackson as elite racist who think only white ppl can be racist and anytime a gangbanging black person dies blame the white person. IF TRAYVON WAS ACTING LIKE A THUG (IDK IF HE TRULY WAS BUT IT'S MORE THAN LIKELY) THEN WHAT ZIMMERMAN DID WASN'T WRONG IT WAS SELF DEFENSE
Quote:
Everyone else is give their opinions but you are trying to play the race card here like most black people usually do
Old 04-03-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
You may not consider yourself to be a racist, but your comments in this thread are littered with generalities/stereotypes/racisim.
It's only a stereotype when it's not true. Call me what you may but I'm like the other 99% of the population that loves black people but hates the thugs/gang bangers. That goes for whites too. Love white people, hate wiggers/wanksters. Nothing racist about it
Old 04-03-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

Quote:
It's only a stereotype when it's not true. Call me what you may but I'm like the other 99% of the population that loves black people but hates the thugs/gang bangers. That goes for whites too. Love white people, hate wiggers/wanksters. Nothing racist about it
And on that matter, if I said ALL black people, then I would agree that it was racist but I said most or many
Old 04-03-2012
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
And on that matter, if I said ALL black people, then I would agree that it was racist but I said most or many
Do you know most blacks?

To say that most black youth are thugs or wannabe thugs is a generalization/stereotype/racist.

Each of your comments about most black people are generalizations/racist.

Quickly save face and tell us how you have black friends which proves you are not racist
Old 04-03-2012
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you are a hood wearing neo-nazi that hates blacks. But I am saying that anytime you make statements and judgements about a group of people based solely on race then its a racist statement.

As a young guy trying to make his way in this world you should be more careful how you say things regardless of how you feel. The wrong person may take offence.

As much as he made me laugh growing up, coming off as Archie Bunker nowadays is not cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8eiCgRD3o

Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 04-03-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2012
IZZY STYLE ELITIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you are a hood wearing neo-nazi that hates blacks. But I am saying that anytime you make statements and judgements about a group of people based solely on race then its a racist statement.

As a young guy trying to make his way in this world you should be more careful how you say things regardless of how you feel. The wrong person may take offence.

As much as he made me laugh growing up, coming off as Archie Bunker nowadays is not cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8eiCgRD3o
I don't have to know a lot of black youth because the statistics on the fbi site speak for themselves... And yes I do know a lot of black youth, and yes they are hoodlums more often than not. Maybe you're definition of a thug is separate from my definition. I don't get worried about who I offend because no matter what anyone says, someone gets offended. I'm just trying to level the playing field. While we're on the subject, I assume you think affirmative action is okay and constitutional as well??