Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Rob Sherrill's Blog

Old 02-08-2008
Olympian

A look at Class A thru a different lens

As I promised last week, here is my Class A individual forecast…just in time for this weekend’s sectionals.

For most of you, Christmas Day comes on Dec. 25. My Christmas Day is Sectional Saturday. That’s when I discover how many of the wrestlers I’ve been charting, tracking and ranking over the course of the entire season actually get to the Big Dance…the individual state tournament at the Assembly Hall in Champaign.

Just to recap, last year, Dakota would have held off Lena-Winslow, 78-69, for the individual state team title, with Murphysboro edging Wilmington, 54-50.5, for third place.

For more background on the origins of this series, check out in my Class AA state preview, which was posted last week…here goes.

1. Wilmington: It would have been hard to bet against the Wildcats last year given their numbers, but then we watched one Wildcat after another fall on Friday at Champaign. This year, Wilmington heads into the state meet with two No. 1 wrestlers, Heino and Fritz, a state finalist in Van Duyne and a state placewinner in Murphy. If they do what they’re projected to do, the team race is over. There are other possibilities in Jones, Cartwright, Goodwin and Bailey. If two or more of them place as well, it could become a runaway.

2. Stillman Valley: The heart of their lineup is from 112 through 152. Whaley has been a state finalist and the Cardinals appear to have two other placewinners in Harrison and Brewington. Tom Hawley and Glaudel could push that total to five and perhaps even Bunk could contribute, which could solidify their place in the top three.

3. Vandalia: As usual, the Vandals will bring numbers to Champaign – and with a rejuvenated South this year, they’ll get some respect. Eller, Bowling and Shroyer all have finals potential, Stone is one of the leaders of a tough southern heavyweight group and Pyle is a state tournament veteran. If they’re all on and Foster, Paulding and Hemminghaus contribute, that will be enough points for Wilmington to be staring at their headlights through the rear-view mirror.

4. Bishop McNamara: Mark Letton down for the heavyweight title and Zinanni for a trip to the finals – assuming he’s bracketed opposite Myers. Young must turn his tough Chicago Catholic League schedule into a state place. If High can contribute, too, we’re talking top five at worst.

5. Macomb: Myers and Kline could make it back-to-back finals against Bishop McNamara opponents to close out the tournament. They do have some other possibilities, with Miller, Elliot, Hall and Jordine all having had successful seasons.

6. Coal City: Only three wrestlers appear to be scorers, but they should be big scorers. Evans, Roseland and Odeen all have finalist potential and that lays the foundation for more than 50 points, which is state trophy territory.

7. Murphysboro: Two of the leaders of last year’s charge, Miller and Baker, return hoping for more state glory. If they do that again and folks like Brashear, Rodriguez and Tyrone help out, they’re within a sniff of another top five finish.

8. Petersburg Porta: Always a team with wonderful balance with individuals who seem to come up just short at the state level. No finalists in this group, but a lot of possibilities, led by Devine, who we thought would place last year (he didn’t) and we think will place this year (he might). Beyond that are a host of wrestlers who have benefited from the Blue Jays’ tough schedule, including Standley, Bultmann, Hild, Langloss and Talla, but who will probably need to score an upset or two to be in the medal mix.

9. Illini Bluffs: Ferman is a state tournament veteran and so is Walker, who has had a magical season. Wolfe must regain his early-season form. If folks like Naylor, Tatro and Depperman get hot, they’ll erase the sting of a tough regional loss.

10. Herrin: The Tigers could make it three solid years in a row at the Assembly Hall. Holliday and Kesler have combined for three state place finishes. If Borders, Anderson, Sargent or the Fortner brothers help out, it will cap another successful season.

11. Byron: This appears to be a two-man team, but Fish is a solid title favorite and Smith also should contribute. If not for Celletti’s unfortunate season-ending injury, we’d be talking up the Tigers as a top-five possibility.

12. Gibson City/Melvin-Sibley: The Greyhounds will depend on wrestlers who are talented, but who have yet to perform at the state level. Kirkpatrick and Unzicker will need to cash in on the experience of previous trips to the Assembly Hall and youngsters like Kirby and Birt will need to turn their potential into results. A lot of ifs, but a lot of potential, too.

Last edited by admin; 02-09-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: shortened title
Old 02-08-2008
Steamer Grad 1997

Send a message via Yahoo to steamerfan21303
Hey Rob, will you follow this up after the state tournament with the results from this years tourny?
Old 02-08-2008

hawkeye

you should of just pmed that to rob. you dont need this all over illinoismatmen. all of what you said was true but you didnt need to bash celleti like that.
Old 02-08-2008
Varsity

GCMS are the Falcons now. Before the consolidation, they were the Greyhounds.
Old 02-08-2008
Olympian

1964, my only information about Celletti was what I saw here on the boards. wrestlingfan53 is right. Not necessary to broadcast that here, though I appreciate the information. As for the now Falcons, my apologies for the error. And yes, I will post some kind of a followup after the state.
Old 02-09-2008

telling the truth is not bashing someone

I do not feel that bringing the truth to light is bashing someone. Rather, i feel it's just that....teling the truth. And unfortunately, the truth hurts at times. But prior to my post, a mistruth was being circulated. Everyone knows these student athletes sign a statement saying they will abide by the rules. And if they do not, they have to pay the price. Isn't this true in our adult lives? I feel that while everyone makes mistakes, I don't think we should feel it's ok to cover them with lies, just so someone doesn't look bad. I guess I feel wrestling, and all high school sports for that matter, are an honerable venture. We are trying to be role models and teach the student athletes right from wrong. It is NOT bashing to correct a lie. It be-littles the sport, to cover up a broken rule, just so he doesn't look bad. What about the others who do follow the rules? This will be controverial, but I believe you reap what you sow. Also, I would NOT have posted, had the truth been out there. Realize, if this had been addressed as simply "removed for disciplinary reasons", I would NOT have had a problem with that, as that would at least be owning up to the truth. It's just unfortunate that this had to happen

Last edited by 1964hawkeye; 02-09-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: clarification on acceptable reason, vs. unacceptable
Old 02-09-2008
Olympian

Here's my problem with this, 1964, and this conversation has gone much farther than it needs to go already: At this point, it's a you-said, they-said situation. I have no way of knowing that your statement was more accurate than the statements in the thread on the other forum. You're essentially telling me: "I'm the one to trust, I know the real story." Even if you're right, and I suppose you are, since it doesn't appear anyone else has stepped in here to refute it, nothing I wrote in my preview story changes. Celletti is unavailable and it's a shame both for him and for Byron. Finally, covering up a broken rule doesn't belittle wrestling any more than if it had been a basketball player, a volleyball player or a golfer that also had violated the school's athletic code.
Old 02-11-2008
gjd

Interesting predictions

I have been away from Illinois for 13+ years but still stay abreast of Illinois High School wrestling. Really enjoy your predictions for Class A, remember when I used to discuss those with you. Thanks for continuing to support wrestling in Illinois Rob, the sport is fortunate to have such an advocate. Loved the results from the Byron Sectional, so many names are repeating from my coaching years in Illinois. Will be following the State Tournament as well. I miss the wrestling but it is 80 degrees here in Florida.

glen dallman
Old 02-11-2008
Olympian

Hi, Glen...I don't think I'd leave the 80-degree weather myself. Hope you enjoy what you hear this weekend...we'll try to have some fun.
Sponsored Links