Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA AAA

Old 09-20-2013
Four-Time National Champs

Conference Tournaments

Allpowerfuloz's posts have us thinking over here, there's always lists of teams, individuals and even tournaments, but what would a top 10 list of conferences around Illinois look like and why? Is the CCL top dog this year or is the DVC? Will the ESCC always play second fiddle to the CCL? The SWSC is continually improving, but are they a top 10 conference in Illinois? How about some of the conferences a bit further away from the metro Chicago area such as the Mid-Illini, SPC, NIC-10 or MVC?
Old 09-20-2013
Varsity

my humble opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton College Wrestling View Post
Allpowerfuloz's posts have us thinking over here, there's always lists of teams, individuals and even tournaments, but what would a top 10 list of conferences around Illinois look like and why? Is the CCL top dog this year or is the DVC? Will the ESCC always play second fiddle to the CCL? The SWSC is continually improving, but are they a top 10 conference in Illinois? How about some of the conferences a bit further away from the metro Chicago area such as the Mid-Illini, SPC, NIC-10 or MVC?
The SWSC is not only a top 10 conference, but probably number one as far as depth of teams and individuals. I believe the CCL turns into number 1 if and when Montini and Marmion join, as for this year the CCL will have a top 10 team in St. Rita and a steadily improving Mt. Carmel that's it when it comes to teams, as far as individuals they may have the most state champs when you look at Yates, Oconnor, Brill, and Mickens all have a shot to win so there's a strong possibility of 3 champs, maybe even 4 if O`connor and Yates are different weights. As far as the ESCC they will always play second fiddle to every major conference until they add quality teams or teams other than Marist show consistent success, not just one year wonders like Marion and Notre Dame
Old 09-21-2013
Varsity

DVC

No disrespect to the DVC, but can they be considered a top conference after this year when they will only have 6 teams in their conference?

IMO for that reason I can't see them keeping only 6 teams, so that leads to the next speculation of who changes now that West Aurora and GBE joined the upstate 8 starting in 2014-2015.

any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2013
Olympian

I thought the DVC added Lake Park? I hadn't heard that West Aurora and Glenbard East were moving.
Old 09-26-2013
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner1215 View Post
I thought the DVC added Lake Park? I hadn't heard that West Aurora and Glenbard East were moving.
You are correct; Lake Park did join the DVC this year. I had not heard that West Aurora was leaving. I heard that West Chicago was leaving.
Old 09-26-2013
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvwrestling View Post
You are correct; Lake Park did join the DVC this year. I had not heard that West Aurora was leaving. I heard that West Chicago was leaving.
Lake Park is in, like everyone said by leaving the Upstate 8 and joining the DVC.

West Chicago dropped out of the DVC, and joined the Metro Suburban Conference.

West Aurora and Glenbard East are leaving next year for the Upstate 8. I have had this confirmed by coaches from the Upstate 8 that this is happening and they are part of a package deal that both teams join.

So after this season the DVC will really need to add some new schools or do some major restructuring. The big question is who do they add and/or who leaves another conference to join the DVC? Either way it is a shame that both schools are leaving. Especially, since Glenbard East is on a upswing and getting very good again. Along with West Aurora being a decent team as well.
“If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”

- Walter Payton
Old 09-26-2013
Junior Varsity

I think the FVC will be more competitive with McHenry, Cary-Grove, Huntley, Crystal Lake South & Central & Jacobs. Lots of good ikwf wrestlers in the area, but still a long way to go
Old 09-27-2013
Olympian

Northern Illinois Big Twelve (NIB12)

Even though this is mostly a Class 2A Conference, it may make the top ten. Particularly if historical significance is considered.

DeKalb and Yorkville are now 3A. Sycamore is a perennial contender in 2A. Historically, Kaneland, Morris, Ottawa, LaSalle Peru, Dixon and Geneseo have produced individual standouts.
Old 10-01-2013
Four-Time National Champs

Would anyone like to take a stab at ranking them (as far as they'd like to take it)? It's understandable that this can be a difficult task, but ideas are always welcome.

Also, don't forget about the conferences that do not culminate in an individual or team conference tournament, such as the West Suburban Gold and Silver.
Old 10-09-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTheEar View Post
Lake Park is in, like everyone said by leaving the Upstate 8 and joining the DVC.

West Chicago dropped out of the DVC, and joined the Metro Suburban Conference.

West Aurora and Glenbard East are leaving next year for the Upstate 8. I have had this confirmed by coaches from the Upstate 8 that this is happening and they are part of a package deal that both teams join.

So after this season the DVC will really need to add some new schools or do some major restructuring. The big question is who do they add and/or who leaves another conference to join the DVC? Either way it is a shame that both schools are leaving. Especially, since Glenbard East is on a upswing and getting very good again. Along with West Aurora being a decent team as well.
West Chicago did not join the Metro Suburban. They were in the process of joining the Metro Suburban last year and during the middle of the process decided to join the Upstate 8. I don't believe they go in until next year. On their IHSA school page they do not have a conference affiliate.

As far as ranking conferences by toughness.
1. Southwest Suburban Conference
2. West Suburban (combined Silver and Gold)
3. DVC

Last edited by golden eagle 157; 10-09-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links