Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA AAA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2013
Triton College Wrestling's Avatar
Triton College Wrestling Triton College Wrestling is offline
Four-Time National Champs
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: River Grove, Illinois
Posts: 371
Conference Tournaments

Allpowerfuloz's posts have us thinking over here, there's always lists of teams, individuals and even tournaments, but what would a top 10 list of conferences around Illinois look like and why? Is the CCL top dog this year or is the DVC? Will the ESCC always play second fiddle to the CCL? The SWSC is continually improving, but are they a top 10 conference in Illinois? How about some of the conferences a bit further away from the metro Chicago area such as the Mid-Illini, SPC, NIC-10 or MVC?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2013
allpowerfuloz allpowerfuloz is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 445
my humble opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton College Wrestling View Post
Allpowerfuloz's posts have us thinking over here, there's always lists of teams, individuals and even tournaments, but what would a top 10 list of conferences around Illinois look like and why? Is the CCL top dog this year or is the DVC? Will the ESCC always play second fiddle to the CCL? The SWSC is continually improving, but are they a top 10 conference in Illinois? How about some of the conferences a bit further away from the metro Chicago area such as the Mid-Illini, SPC, NIC-10 or MVC?
The SWSC is not only a top 10 conference, but probably number one as far as depth of teams and individuals. I believe the CCL turns into number 1 if and when Montini and Marmion join, as for this year the CCL will have a top 10 team in St. Rita and a steadily improving Mt. Carmel that's it when it comes to teams, as far as individuals they may have the most state champs when you look at Yates, Oconnor, Brill, and Mickens all have a shot to win so there's a strong possibility of 3 champs, maybe even 4 if O`connor and Yates are different weights. As far as the ESCC they will always play second fiddle to every major conference until they add quality teams or teams other than Marist show consistent success, not just one year wonders like Marion and Notre Dame
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2013
HawkeyeMG HawkeyeMG is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo Grove
Posts: 192
DVC

No disrespect to the DVC, but can they be considered a top conference after this year when they will only have 6 teams in their conference?

IMO for that reason I can't see them keeping only 6 teams, so that leads to the next speculation of who changes now that West Aurora and GBE joined the upstate 8 starting in 2014-2015.

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2013
crazyrunner1215 crazyrunner1215 is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,333
I thought the DVC added Lake Park? I hadn't heard that West Aurora and Glenbard East were moving.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2013
Luvwrestling's Avatar
Luvwrestling Luvwrestling is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner1215 View Post
I thought the DVC added Lake Park? I hadn't heard that West Aurora and Glenbard East were moving.
You are correct; Lake Park did join the DVC this year. I had not heard that West Aurora was leaving. I heard that West Chicago was leaving.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2013
NickyTheEar NickyTheEar is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Edison Park), Illinois
Posts: 309
Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvwrestling View Post
You are correct; Lake Park did join the DVC this year. I had not heard that West Aurora was leaving. I heard that West Chicago was leaving.
Lake Park is in, like everyone said by leaving the Upstate 8 and joining the DVC.

West Chicago dropped out of the DVC, and joined the Metro Suburban Conference.

West Aurora and Glenbard East are leaving next year for the Upstate 8. I have had this confirmed by coaches from the Upstate 8 that this is happening and they are part of a package deal that both teams join.

So after this season the DVC will really need to add some new schools or do some major restructuring. The big question is who do they add and/or who leaves another conference to join the DVC? Either way it is a shame that both schools are leaving. Especially, since Glenbard East is on a upswing and getting very good again. Along with West Aurora being a decent team as well.
__________________
“If you ask me how I want to be remembered, it is as a winner. You know what a winner is? A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn't mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they've given it their best. That's a winner.”

- Walter Payton
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2013
Armadillo Armadillo is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 57
I think the FVC will be more competitive with McHenry, Cary-Grove, Huntley, Crystal Lake South & Central & Jacobs. Lots of good ikwf wrestlers in the area, but still a long way to go
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-27-2013
FoxesFan FoxesFan is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,890
Northern Illinois Big Twelve (NIB12)

Even though this is mostly a Class 2A Conference, it may make the top ten. Particularly if historical significance is considered.

DeKalb and Yorkville are now 3A. Sycamore is a perennial contender in 2A. Historically, Kaneland, Morris, Ottawa, LaSalle Peru, Dixon and Geneseo have produced individual standouts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-01-2013
Triton College Wrestling's Avatar
Triton College Wrestling Triton College Wrestling is offline
Four-Time National Champs
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: River Grove, Illinois
Posts: 371
Would anyone like to take a stab at ranking them (as far as they'd like to take it)? It's understandable that this can be a difficult task, but ideas are always welcome.

Also, don't forget about the conferences that do not culminate in an individual or team conference tournament, such as the West Suburban Gold and Silver.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2013
golden eagle 157 golden eagle 157 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyTheEar View Post
Lake Park is in, like everyone said by leaving the Upstate 8 and joining the DVC.

West Chicago dropped out of the DVC, and joined the Metro Suburban Conference.

West Aurora and Glenbard East are leaving next year for the Upstate 8. I have had this confirmed by coaches from the Upstate 8 that this is happening and they are part of a package deal that both teams join.

So after this season the DVC will really need to add some new schools or do some major restructuring. The big question is who do they add and/or who leaves another conference to join the DVC? Either way it is a shame that both schools are leaving. Especially, since Glenbard East is on a upswing and getting very good again. Along with West Aurora being a decent team as well.
West Chicago did not join the Metro Suburban. They were in the process of joining the Metro Suburban last year and during the middle of the process decided to join the Upstate 8. I don't believe they go in until next year. On their IHSA school page they do not have a conference affiliate.

As far as ranking conferences by toughness.
1. Southwest Suburban Conference
2. West Suburban (combined Silver and Gold)
3. DVC

Last edited by golden eagle 157; 10-09-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.