Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 03-25-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
I personally called Gable the day after DIs asking for his help. He talked around the situation saying he wanted to do his work through the National Coaches Association. He told me he had received Mike Denney's call but could not understand the number. I gave him coaches and he said he would call him but he was not going to Omaha personally. He reiterated he was working through the coaches association.

To date I have not seen anything he or the coaches association did. Unless I hear something else I am calling b.s. I don't think he wanted his name or face involved. One day may be Iowa's turn. What I learned is ANY school is in danger. If UNO. Can go any school can be taken down.
What did you want/expect Gable to do?
Old 03-25-2011
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Pride View Post
You've never read any articles or heard any interviews when he says he is now an ambassador of the sport and will be there to help programs in jeopardy of being dropped? I've read and heard several over the last few years. Anybody else or am I losing my mind?
Old 03-25-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdfan View Post
You've never read any articles or heard any interviews when he says he is now an ambassador of the sport and will be there to help programs in jeopardy of being dropped? I've read and heard several over the last few years. Anybody else or am I losing my mind?

I hear you .... but what did you want him to do to save the program?

Honestly, i dont think he could have done anything; I think he had minimal influence on the situation based on perception that the AD is narrow minded. So is it really fair to call "b.s." that dan gable didnt intervene?

The UNO admins already made the decision to not fund the wrestling program. It seems like the only way the program could have been saved is if they could demonstrate to fully fund themselves (ie scholarships, housing, expenses, etc.). It sound like that magic figure was $500K per year which is a pretty lofty goal to hit in a SHORT period of time.

Last edited by Pirate Pride; 03-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2011
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

Quote:
I hear you .... but what did you want him to do to save the program?

Honestly, i dont think he could have done anything; I think he had minimal influence on the situation.

The UNO admins already made the decision to not fund the wrestling program. It seems like the only way the program could have been saved is if they could demonstrate to fully fund themselves (ie scholarships, housing, expenses, etc.). It sound like that magic figure was $500K per year which is a pretty lofty goal to hit.
I don't know about Andre, but it would have been nice to have heard or read somewhere that he at least tried. He is such a prominent and respected figure in all levels of wrestling. And I do think you're right...it sounds like their minds were made up. $500,000 per year is a huge amount to come up with on such short notice....
Old 03-25-2011
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Be supportive since he is the biggest name in the sport. Hiding behind the coaches associate. Was weak.
Old 03-25-2011
Olympian

Just got back from the Board of Regents meeting.....

And I have so many things I want to say, but don't know where to start.

This meeting was a set up, the Regents had already agreed to the proposal..this meeting was a dog and pony show.

They talk about excellence...lol...Albert said it himself...athletics is now a business. What a bunch of crap....maybe at the big time football and basketball schools, where the athletes are there to ready themselves or audition for professional careers, but at a low level D1 or D11, D111 school where most of the athletes pay their own tuition and few go on to pro careers? What right does the school have to try to make money off student/athletes paying tuition and playing in the name of the school? Isn't athletics part of the fiber of education? Does it not have its own place in teaching values? Excellence my a$$, bottom line excellence is too costly, you can make more money by being mediocre and being crushed by superior opponents who will pay you to play them.

Albertís himself said, "if we get paid....I can take a humiliating defeat". What? Really? Excellence? What kind of philosophy is that? So if a student fails, that is OK as long as he pays tuition? What we they teaching their students? It is ok to lose/fail, even be humiliated, as long as the school makes money off you? ...Johnny, it is ok that you failed the test, just keep that tuition money coming in. Don't worry about working to the best of your ability or trying to achieve your best, just make sure the school gets your money.

This is more than just about a wrestling team or football team...our educational system is in danger of failing our students...what message are they sending to the students and what ethics and morals are they instilling in our young men and women?

Thanks, I had to vent...I feel better now...what a crappy day...
Old 03-25-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
Be supportive since he is the biggest name in the sport. Hiding behind the coaches associate. Was weak.
I was in oneof the meetings and Coach Denney said he didn't want to waste Coach Gable's time because he didn't think any of the Regents would know who he was.
Old 03-27-2011
Varsity

I've seen the death of many wrestling programs over the years. It's always sad for me. In this case, it's not really a death but more of a murder. UNO was at the top of their game. If you compare this to professional sports it would be like the Yankees or the Patriots losing their team.
College sports is about money and politics, as sad as it is to admit. High school sports isn't too far behind and I know that in time there will be programs that suffer the same fate on the high school level, teams that do well.
I don't know these people at UNO. I don't care to. I only know this. They have put these kids last on their list of prioritites. Athletics are as influential as classroom learning, if not more so. I took away more from the wrestling room than I ever learned in school and I am sure that this is the case with the majority of kids that ever stepped on the mat.
You can have your cake and eat it too. How? Figure it out UNO. I'm not an accountant and I'm not a genius, I just know that other Univesities do it. The first step is NOT TAKING THE EASY WAY OUT!
The wrestling community will continue to suffer devastating blows as long as these selfish bastards run these schools like they have been. I can only hope that future UNO students and their parents look at this situation and see it as a prelude of what's to come. Today they cut wrestling, tomorrow it may be some academic program that your kid is enrolled in. Maybe enrollment will suffer like these athletes are suffering.
Well I'm rambling and I get that way when I am angry.
My thoughts are with all the UNO people affected by this, and you have my support.
Old 04-07-2012
Olympian

I heard they made a movie about it....
Old 04-08-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Oliva View Post
I heard they made a movie about it....
I heard that too. Can you share with us information about the movie?