Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IESA

Old 03-19-2012
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco52 View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly. The two entities do not have to compete against each other. Each family makes its own choice and hopefully the kids enjoy their experience, improve, and have successful careers. Furthermore, if the two entities work together they can and often do build great high school programs. Teamwork, right?
Teamwork ? In wrestling ? Don't tell Lauden. They might have to change that scene in "Vision Quest."

Let's all hope the two together can build great HS programs!
Old 03-20-2012
Junior Varsity

I think for the middle of the pack kids IKWF and IESA are pretty even, my son last year in IKWF placed 5th at regionals out of 13 or 14 wrestlers and this year he placed 4th out of 7 wrestlers in IESA and both years he did not get a win at sectionals. I love both IKWF and IESA and both are great for the sport also around here many of the IESA kids do wrestle in the off season.
Old 03-21-2012
Junior Varsity

who cares

I am a parent of both I.E and I.K. both have there goods and bads.I think when you get to high school the score is 0-0.The I.K. has better competition weight by weight,it also has a higher burnout rate.I also think top kids in I.E.are not given enough credit.In our community the majority of state champs at the high school level were I.E. wrestlers.Reason being in my humble opinion, no burnout and awesome high school coaching.I think the schedule in I.E. promotes a less pressure filled environment and promotes dual meet mentality which lends itself nicely in high school.With that being said if your I.K. club is a good club who exposes kids to a balance of free style, greco and good solid coaching in folkstyle and there is and effort to move the kid along emotionally mentally and physically I.K. is beneficial.when you get right down to it grade youth championships are fun and teach a kid to be goal oriented but they do not matter.I know kids who were state champs at youth wrestling never won a title in high school. kids who never won a title at youth level but won high school.The ultimate goal should be taking all the things about life this great sport of ours has to offer our kids as a parent you need to decide where is better for your child to do that.
Old 03-22-2012
Varsity

knowing your boy

The key to this debate is knowing your son. Age? Desire? competitive drive? etc.

Then, also know your community. what does your community have to offer club wise? iesa wise? Coaches? (sometimes real coaches beat parents who think they are coaches)

If our goal is to build successful wrestlers at the high school level, then read your kids. If the begin to not enjoy it or get burned out, BACK OFF!
Old 03-22-2012
Varsity

should have a wrestle off

when I was in high school they had the Ultimate Dual. Highest placing senior in class A vs. Highest Placing senior in Class AA

Be fun to see the IESA vs IKWF in the same kind of dual meet.
Old 03-23-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiased opinions View Post
when I was in high school they had the Ultimate Dual. Highest placing senior in class A vs. Highest Placing senior in Class AA

Be fun to see the IESA vs IKWF in the same kind of dual meet.
Well, that's sort've happening in Danville this weekend. And in my unbiased opinion (been in both IK and IESA) nobody is going to touch IKWF Gold. And the IK is especially deep this year sending 4 teams. Of course in head to head competition the IESA kids would probably win a couple of matches against Gold. But, as a team they're going to have their hands full with IK Bronze this year, let alone Silver or Gold. The Bronze match-up is usually a great one to watch. The IK simply has more depth. Even against IK Gold (IF the Top Dawgs made it to the Gold Pool) I think you would see very few matches that are lopsided. Once ALL kids get to this level, the top three or four kids in either the IK or IESA are typically separated by only a few points. This is always a silly topic. But, the ones that have "been there - done that" in both leagues know that there's tough competition in both. There's just deeper competion in the IK, especially in the lighter weights. Stupid topic really...
Old 03-24-2012
Junior Varsity

IKWF will win
Old 03-24-2012
Junior Varsity

So IESA squeezes by IKWF Bronze 36-30. Could have easily gone the other way based on the heavy weight match and another match where the IK kid was winning and got caught and pinned. They won't be nearly as close with IK Gold or Silver.
Old 03-24-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdog View Post
So IESA squeezes by IKWF Bronze 36-30. Could have easily gone the other way based on the heavy weight match and another match where the IK kid was winning and got caught and pinned. They won't be nearly as close with IK Gold or Silver.
Looking at the matchups, I said this one would be a barnburner. IK is especially DEEP this year! I think in the past few years we might have had a very, very slim chance against Silver. But, not this year. I don't care who they face, IK Gold is STACKED!!! They'll probably face Silver in the finals - lol!!!
Old 03-24-2012
Varsity

I love that the IESA guy is on here saying how good the IK teams are this year while the IK guy is on here making excuses about their team's loss.

This thread was pointless from the beginning, and is a tired discussion. Put your kid in the organization you like the best, and quit trying to tell everyone why it is better than the other. We need to be supporting the sport, not trying tear each other down. The same thing happens with 1A, 2A and 3A discussions. Get over yourselves, and support the kids and the sport.
Sponsored Links